Satellite
  • Day 2

    Glasgow at last

    August 6, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    The cityscape soon gave way to a patchwork of greens and browns as we headed north on the final leg our our journey. We were surprised when the hostess asked if we'd like a glass of wine and an antipasto platter. Seems Richard had inadvertently booked business class! Oh well - it was a lovely treat after the trials and tribulations of cattle class.

    Glasgow airport was a welcome relief after the madness of Heathrow and we were soon on our way to Fortrose Manor - our home for the next 4 days. After a quick meet and greet with our delightful hostess Christine and a most welcome shower, we succumbed to sleep. We'd planned to start re-setting our biological clocks by waking at 5pm, but said alarm was soon silenced and 8 hours later we woke to a surprising light evening sky.

    A quick supper of homemade bread and strawberry jam (part of our sumptious breakfast table), washed down with a cup of tea (of course) and it was off out for an evening stroll along the quiet streets. By chance we'd booked our BNB in a quiet leafy suburb near the 500 year old University of Glasgow. The area is characterised by multi-storey apartment buildings, no doubt 100s of years old. Always a treat for us colonials with our modern histories. The rain that had greeted our arrival returned, so we high-tailed back to our cosy abode. Sleep beckoned once again.
    Read more