Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Kelvingrove Park and surrounds

    August 7, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Despite our best efforts to catch up on sleep, our bodies reminded us that jet lag is a physiological process - the balance of serotonin and melatonin needs to be re-set. In other words, we still woke early. With hours to fill before our first museum visit, we set off to explore the nearby Kelvingrove Park. Established in the mid 1800s, the park is commonly recognised as the first purpose-designed and constructed park in Scotland. It offered an alternative playground for the middle class to Glasgow Green, which at that time was "unashamably working class".

    Using one of the many useful brochures provided by our AirBNB host, we followed the heritage trail through the park. Of particular note were the Sunlight Cottages, which are representatives of early 20th century philanthropic model housing erected by Lever Brothers Limited for their workers at Port Sunlight, near Liverpool. These lovely ornate cottages are quite a contrast from our state houses!

    Varous statues dot the pathway, amongst them William Thomson or Lord Kelvin (of the Kelvin temperature scale). Apparently he started university at the age of 10, was a Professor of Natural Philosophy (Physics) by 21 and published over 600 papers. Talk about over-acheiver!

    The University of Glasgow sits on a hill overlooking the park, with sweeping views of the city beyond. The compact main campus combines impressive old buildings with more modern architecture. At more than 550 years old, it's no surprise that some very well known academics have graced these halls.

    A brief respite from the light rain came in the form of coffee and delicious scones in the former Queen's Room, overlooking the very pretty herbaceous border. Replenished, we made our way to the rather majestic Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and my first glimpse at the wonderful works of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
    Read more