Satellite
  • Day 43

    Capella

    November 23, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Capella is simply a place to stay between A and B. The site had decent reviews.

    When we arrived the site was almost empty. We chose a pitch and made the most of it by putting out the awning for the second time since we’ve been travelling. We are almost getting proficient at that task. We had a quick swim, did some washing, domestic stuff etc, then walked into “town” to find a local beer.

    Whatever Capella has to offer, we couldn’t find it. We did find a pub and we sat enjoying a beer. Back to Bertha for dinner and an early night as we have a long drive tomorrow to get us to Carnarvon Gorge.

    The metal sculptures refer to the Armoured Corps and how they earned the right to wear emu feathers in their hat. The story on the sculpture differs slightly in that it states that a couple of the soldiers caught an emu, took some of the feathers and put them in their hats. This started the tradition. The other story goes ....

    The Emu Plume

    Slouch hats worn by members of the Armoured Corps are adorned with Emu plumes, a tradition that originated with the Queensland Mounted Infantry during the great shearers’ strike in Queensland in 1891. During this time, the Queensland Mounted Infantry were called out, as soldiers to aid the Civil Power.

    As time permitted, the soldiers would participate in a sporting activity where they would ride their horses alongside the emus, plucked the breast feathers, and placed the feathers on their hat. The Gympie Squadron was the first to wear the feathers, a fashion soon followed by the regiment.

    The Queensland government permitted the Regiment to adopt the plume as part of its uniform in recognition of its service. In 1915 then Minister for Defence Sir G. F. Pearce granted all units of the Australian Light Horse permission to wear the plume , which they refer to as ‘Kangaroo feathers’.

    Emu tufts of approved design and dimensions are now worn by all members of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps as an item of dress. All Royal Australian Armoured Corps personnel were given authority to wear Emu plumes in the slouch hat, brim up or down in 1996, this was extended to all personnel serving in the Royal Australian Armoured Corps Regiment in 2000.
    Read more