Satellite
  • Cascais

    September 7, 2021 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    While in Lisbon, we began to look for our next destination. Would it be the Algarve or go west to Cascais? While doing a little research, we accidently came across a fabulous deal for a stay and play (golf) package. Golf it is. Seven nights in a five star hotel and five rounds each of golf. I have to say that we both feel the need to slow down a bit now. I personally would be happy if I didn't see a golf course in the next month.

    Back to the story. Hotel was great and included buffet breakfast each morning. What a spread. Cheeses, ham, cured meats, smoked salmon, freshest of breads, potatoes cooked in olive oil and garlic with herbs, The list goes on. Oh, and eggs, crepes, and waffles cooked to order. YUM.

    We got to play a total of four different courses. I think our favorite was Estoril. Although only a par 69, it had character. Oitavos Dunes golf links was also quite enjoyable (and bonus that it was right out the back door). The other two were forgettable (although Penha Longa was part of a resort with 3 different Michelin starred restaurants so that might be of interest to you foodies out there). The kicker with the golf deal was that we had to get Uber or Taxis to and from the golf courses. Some were €20+ each way.

    The town of Cascais is very nice. A little touristy. It has a good vibe and great restaurants. https://www.visitcascais.com/en There is word going around that Mr. Bill Gates is building a house about 3 miles outside of town facing the Atlantic, but the locals are more excited about a rumor that Ronaldo might also be building a house here.

    Our seven days have come and gone and now we are on to the next destination. 30min Uber, 2 1/2 hours on a train and 15min Uber and we are in our new Airbnb.

    BTW, that thing that looks like a pizza was absolutely delicious (from one of the aforementioned Michelin joints at Penha Longa). Cured ham on top of beautiful cheese with garlic and olive oil. Yum. Steak tartare wasn't half bad either. Caroline’s favorite was that thing in the bowl that turned out to be pumpkin purée, sautéed chanterelles, topped by a perfect poached egg that turned the whole thing into absolute heaven. Now back on the budget (and diet!).
    Read more