Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    St. Sava Temple

    May 14, 2023 in Serbia ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    An interesting visit and tour of the beautiful and amazing Cathedral of St Sava. With more than 3,000 square metres of floor area and a height of 79 metres (including the cross), it is one of the largest Orthodox churches in the world and the largest one in the Balkans. The cathedral, named after St Sava (1174–1235) - one of Serbia's greatest saints and enlighteners - was built on the site where the remains of St Sava were desecrated by the Ottoman conquerors.
    The construction of the cathedral began in 1935, but was postponed when World War II broke out. The construction of the cupola was completed in 1989. The cathedral was officially opened to the public and worshippers in 2004, although work on the interior continued.
    The interior of the dome of St Sava's Cathedral depicts a composition traditional to the 11th-13th centuries, known as the Ascension of the Lord, with Christ the Saviour in his heavenly glory, surrounded by the Virgin Mary, the archangels and the holy apostles. The central glory of Christ is supported by four white- robed angels, who together form the shape of a cross. This cross, floating against a flickering golden background, illustrates the central tenet of Christianity.This artistic method of depicting the Ascension is based on ancient Russian, Byzantine and medieval Balkan traditions. A wonderful church.
    Read more