Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    City of Nis

    May 15, 2023 in Serbia ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    Traveled a couple of hours south on good toll motorways, rolling green farm land, some small towns and villages. Arrived to the city of Nis.
    Took a walk around the remains of the Fortress of Nis, passing through the main gate arch and up the Byzantine Street, a north-south oriented street dating from the 5th-6th century. According to the information of this cultural site. Archaeological excavations in 1962-63, uncovered the remains of buildings with symmetrical columns along the street, together with porches, predominant of the type of building from Early Byzantine period. Rooms excavated on both street sides were repeatedly remodeled, indicating that their purpose changed during that time. Excavations suggested the existence of various workshops and the remains of sacral buildings indicating the existence of a Christian church. Also the Bali Bey Mosque, located in the central part of the Fortress. It is the only preserved mosque and was first mentioned in 1521 as a small Turkish shrine without a minaret, and in 1710 it was listed as a mosque.
    After that we went for a brief walk into the town centre, a plesent and relaxed mix of shops, bars and restaurants. I sat down at a sculpture of two men and a dog which was fun then the main square and the old market street. Late afternoon, retired to the hotel overlooking the city.
    Read more