Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Day 22 - Lightning Ridge to Moonie

    January 25, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    After a magnificent sunset last night it is time to head back to Noosa. First impression on the road was how green everything is! The floods last year have left a legacy of lush undergrowth and green trees everywhere. Not your usual outback and this is something to remember. Crossing the border back into Queensland we gave a loud cheer which was echoed by the barking of Chanel :-)
    First stop was the beautiful painted silos at Thallon. However this time there was a huge layer of grain lying in front of the silos covered in blue plastic. As one of the locals told us, the flood predictions were that the grain harvest would be down a lot due to the floods. But this did not occur and instead one of the largest bumper harvests of all time occurred with over 250,000 tons of grain being harvested. This is way too much to store in silos so all over this region large stores of grain can be seen in front of all silos. It will take more than a year to get distribute this huge grain harvest.
    Then it was off to the oldest pub in Queensland at Nindigully which opened for business in 1864. Among the memorabilia on the walls was a charcoal drawing of the pub made in 1881 by a swagman who was grateful to receive a free meal and painted the charcoal-on-linen drawing as a thank you.
    We finally reached the pub and campsite at Moonie. A hot 36 degrees and we were thankful the air conditioning in the caravan can run off the inverter and batteries. Not a particularly great campsite, but strategically located to allow a sensible distance tomorrow for the last drive home.
    Read more