Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Heading west with silos and a museum

    April 24, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    It was an early start this morning. Over the last few days Carolina has had a blocked ear that has been sore and bothering her, so we planned a doctors appointment for her in Wagga. In addition the Redarc Tow Pro in the car which operates the electronic caravan braking system has been playing up, so we planned a stop at the RedArc service centre in Temora. Therefore an early start was the order of the day to maximise time flexibility and we were on the road at 7:30am.
    Along the way we came across our first set of painted silos at Harden. Carolina is fascinated by painted silos and water tanks and has the coffee table books, the calendar, and all the details. So seeing these while we travel is a must. The Hayden solos were a bit unusual because viewing them was not easy. Instead of viewing points that are provided for other painted silos, these were adjacent to private properties surrounded by high trees and big signs warning people not to trespass. Not so tourist-friendly!! So taking photos meant poking around the trees looking for suitable gaps.
    Then on to Temora, a nice little country aviation town which used to be a big RAAF pilot training centre during WW2 between 1941-46 and whose airport is now active in gliding activities. There is also a very good RAAF aircraft museum with an excellent collection of ex-RAAF aircraft, all of which are still in flying condition. The Canberra bomber, Meteor, Sabre, Hudson, Spitfire, and Tiger Moth are some of the many older aircraft on display. Peter spent about an hour wandering around these aircraft reminiscing about the past flying history.
    In the meantime our Tow Pro main control box had been found to be faulty and RedArc replaced it under warranty no questions asked. A big thumbs-up for the RedArc after sales service!!
    Then it was on to Wagga for Carolina’s ear appointment which was fixed by the kind doctors.
    Today was also our first caravan park overnight for the last 10 days at the BIG4 in Wagga and it was a nice one with lots of room, trees, and a nice atmosphere. Time to top up the water tanks, do some washing, and have long soothing showers!! A restful night awaits with some pupusas for dinner.
    Read more