Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 29

    Broken Hill in a whirlwind 10 hours

    15 de maio de 2023, Austrália ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    The Silver City has so much to offer the tourist. Lots of things to see and do, but in our case we had so little time to get this done. To do justice to the sights and attractions of this fascinating town you should really set aside a minimum of 3-4 days. However our time schedule here will only allow us one full day as we have to get back to Noosa by next weekend. So today was always going to be action-packed.
    We were up early and started seeing the sights at 8am and finally ended with a beautiful sunset at 6pm. 10 hours of busy but very interesting and varied touring.
    During the day we did a full tour of the Royal Flying Doctor Service facilities which has a big base and historical museum in Broken Hill, and learned about the important role it has played to those living in the remote outback for the last nearly 100 years. We had a delicious milkshake and waffle at the famous retro 1950s Bells Milk-bar. We gazed in awe at the multitude of amazing paintings at the Pro Hart Gallery and marvelled at his Rolls Royce collection and the prolific way he painted more than 100,000 paintings in his 78 year life! We walked much of the Heritage Trail in the city including the infamous Palace Hotel where Priscilla Queen of the Desert was filmed and where the annual Broken Heel drag festival is held We visited the sobering Miners Memorial that held an honour plaque and a rose for each of those many many miners who have died over the last 100 years in the mines of the Silver City. Unfortunately the mining museums that we wanted so much to visit were closed until later in the week which was a big disappointment.
    Then as the afternoon was drawing to a close we experienced the highlight of the day when we went to the Living Desert Sculptures that are located around 10km outside Broken Hill up on one of the ridges with a great view of the city. These sculptures pick up the early morning sun as well as the sunset and are a very unique collection from sculptors from many places around the world. We had been told these were best viewed just before sunset to pick up the colours and then we should stay and see the sunset - and the advice was right. It was a truly unique experience to see these very unusual sculpture statues lit up by the orange sunset with the setting sun sky alight behind them. A great way to end a busy but fascinating day touring one of Australia’s most interesting outback towns.
    Then it was back to the Broken Hill Racecourse free camp where we had stayed for our 2 nights here which is a well kept campground and a very nice place to stay. A relaxing fish dinner watching TV ended a very pleasant day.
    Leia mais