Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Heading east on a low cost carrier

    August 10, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    After 4 very nice days with Helen and John relaxing in their lovely home, it was time for some adventure and take the risk of flying on a low cost carrier to get to Dusseldorf in Germany. So after a last pleasant coffee with Helen & John and a final relax on the balcony of their house we headed to LHR and our airline flight. We stayed overnight at the Sheraton Heathrow Hotel as we had an early departure the next day, and Carolina was fascinated by the large picture on the bathroom wall of a DC-3.
    We were very pleasantly surprised the next day that EuroWings was a very easy and enjoyable experience! A simple hi-tech check-in process, easy boarding onto the A220, and a pleasant one hour flight to DUS. No dramas at all!
    On arrival we were met by our friend David (“Frostie”) Frost who picked us up to drive us back to his house in the city of Herne. This was supposed to be. 35 mins drive but turned into 1:30 hours due to a huge buildup of traffic on the autobahn.
    David and his wife Lisa live in a lovely huge house a short walk away from the city centre of Herne and they made us feel very welcome. Lisa used to run a high-end café/delicatessen called LISA, but has closed this down recently. So she used her amazing culinary skills to prepare a fantastic meal for dinner and a plate of beautiful cakes for dessert - just for the diet. Lots of chatting and catching up over this lovely food and a few vinos before heading for bed.
    Read more