Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Lake Como here we come!!

    August 15, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Another early start. The alarm sounded at 3:30am and by 4:30am we were on the road to Dusseldorf airport being driven there by our kind host David. He must have been very pleased when these pesky Australians finally left!!
    The Eurowings flight to Milan Malpensa was uneventful despite the early morning thunderstorms in Dusseldorf. On arrival we picked up our car sharing electric car we had booked to drive to Lake Como. However we encountered some technical problems because the phone app is used to unlock the car and there were some technical connection problems and the car would not unlock. This took us about 45 mins and several phone calls to eVai, the Italian car sharing company, before they were finally about to sort this out and they unlocked the car remotely. Meanwhile time was ticking and in the rush to get underway once the car was opened we did not realise the car battery charging cable connected to the charging station actually belongs to the car and is not left at the charging station. So when we dropped the car at Domaso in Lake Como we found we could not charge the car without the cable. More phone calls to sort this out, and all in Italian of course. It’s a bit hard for us to speak Italian in the phone because you can’t see the hands waving!!
    Despite these hassles caused by our to our unfamiliarity with using an electric car, the drive to Lake Como was beautiful. Fantastic warm weather and spectacular scenery.
    We have friends who are fortunate enough to have a holiday place at Gravedona on Lake Como with wonderful views over the northern parts of the lake and they have invited us to stay with them. Sara and Kris, and their two kids are holidaying there for the school holiday period and we are looking forward to spending time with them and enjoying the sights of the beautiful Lake Como. They were attending a wedding today but Sara’s parents met us and settled us into the casual and relaxing Italian lifestyle.
    Read more