Satellite
  • Day 23

    Birdsville to Marree

    September 11, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    After a brilliant few days in Birdsville we met a few couples heading to Marree as we were, so we said “ see you there “. Unbeknown to us the Birdsville track was a tyre eater!! We had a night at Coopers creek ( a dry river bed ) and one night at Clayton station which had another hot mineral bath ( beautiful ). Did some washing there and lounged in the hot bath for the day. On to Marree the next day only to find none of our friends there. They started limping in later in the day with stories of not one but 3 to 4 flat, sometimes destroyed , tyres. By the end of the next day they were all in, but faced with having to wait a week or so for replacements or risk it on what they had left to a bigger town 60 or 70 ks away. As for us , so far so good, so we had a couple of days in Marree waiting for a fight over lake Eyre and the Marree man.
    We were in a free camp behind the pub, big mistake 🍻🍻. If you don’t know anything about the Marree man goggle it, it’s fascinating. A magic flight with a wealth of information.
    While parked behind the pub some 80 odd postie bikes came in for a night and believe it or not they had traveled down the Birdsville track, and they were buggered!!
    Read more