Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    5 hours from Hell

    October 13, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Only managed one other photo for today. The moment when we realised, this was not going to be a fun journey.

    After hastily retreating back to the hostel, we successfully woke everyone up and told them to move their butts cause we were jumping ship.

    Two of the girls I was speaking with last night ended up giving a third girl a lift back to Melbourne. The trains were being cancelled for the entire weekend and busses were limiting services. So we decided to leave pretty quickly.

    And it's a good thing we did. At first it wasnt so bad, but it just kept getting worse. The rain got somehow heavier and the sky darkened. People couldn't seem to understand that though it is 110, you should not be going that fast in this kind of weather. A few butclenching moments and the mud guard on our tire going, we made it back into Melbourne safely.

    Though the mud guard had come clean off, what Daisy is holding in the photo, the car hire company did not care. Perhaps it was the fact that it had been clearly glued on before, or they were aware of the 2 leaks the roof had or the suspect smell we never could identify or get rid of. Whatever the reason, we were happy. And that little green and purple monstrosity got us up some steep slopes and started every time (something the other group didn't have!)

    In all honest though, that was one of the best 5 days ever. Odds on I will never see any of the 14 or the others we met along the way again. But that is the side effect of travelling. You have the best time with complete strangers, people come and go and in the end you're on your own. But it is so worth it.
    Read more