Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 227

    War Memorial

    May 9, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The Canberra War Memorial is a testament to this countries fallen.

    In england we commemorate our fallen soldiers but the focus is on WW1/2. In Australia they focus on all soldiers in all wars.

    I thought at first that 2hrs in the memorial would be an insanely long time. How wrong I was. The main areas are dedicated to the world wars. The centre for all the recipients of the Victoria Cross, then WW1 on the right and WW2 on the left. The Korean, Vietnaman and Malay wars are also highlighted behind these main exhibits.

    Now, I think I know a fair amount about the world wars. I studied WW1 from a literary view point and WW2 from a political and German view point. But I was astonished how little I knew about Australias aid. I knew that the Japanese sided with the Germans, but I knew nothing more. The amount of blood shed around Asia between the Japanese and Australians is astonishing. I was reading about WW2 and the war on this side of the world and I was floored. If I'm being honest, I thought of the wars as a very European central affair. Of course they were, but I had no clue who much I didnt know.

    I could have spent many more hours here just looking through everything. But it was late in the day when I arrived and I the memorial oses at 4pm unless you stay for the old post.

    The old post is a commemoration done every evening. Both civilians and military personal come down and lay a wreath at the base of the reflecting pond to remeber someone. Around the pond is the names of every Australian soldier who died in a war since the start of WW1.

    At the end of the memorial is the tomb of the unknown solider. Outside the tomb is a plaque with their eulogy printed. Members of the public can purchase a poppy by donating to the memorial and can place that poppy anywhere within the memorial. The gaps between the plaques on the walls are full of these poppies, lighting up the black metal and creating a starting contrast.

    Along the parade between the memorial and the lake is a collection of statues for each war or group. I did not get a photo of every one, but they were beautiful.

    I do not think I will return to Canberra as there is little else to do beyond what I have done today but I would return simply to visit the memorial again. I only got to do less than half of it so would happily go back to do more.
    Read more