Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Avron's old high school

    February 26 in South Africa ⋅ 🌩️ 31 °C

    We didn't want to barge into a high school, so we asked at the door if we could have a peek, and got immediately received by the headmaster in his office!
    Sandringham high school used to be famous for its level of education and its sports teams, but all fell apart after the apartheid, all the students and teachers left and were replaced by black students and staff. But with high levels of corruption and embezzlement, the school just disagregated.
    The last headmaster was kicked out for stealing funds ten years ago, and since then the school has survived, rudderless, with no headmaster, until last year, when the young one that we spoke with tackled the impossible task of raising it back from its ashes.
    Like often, it is a mix of perfect cleanliness, impeccable behavior and uniforms, over old and tired bones in dire need of investment.
    The headmaster is hoping to lean on the help of some alumni from the good old days, so he jumped on the occasion to give Avron the sale speech.
    Like often in SA, I am getting a feeling of fiercely determined people facing impossible odds with eyes wide open and no interest in quitting.
    Read more