Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Aitutaki

    October 17, 2019, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Yesterday, Wednesday we flew from Rarotonga on a small Air Rarotonga aircraft. We left our two large suitcases at Rarotonga as there was a weight restriction and we didn’t need much for three nights.The flight took just forty minutes and we had some spectacular views of Aitutaki when we landed. The airport is little more than a large hut and our luggage was brought to the front of the hut on a trailer and you help yourself. The runway here was first established by the Americans during WW2 for transporting over the Pacific.
    Our hotel is excellent and again we have a beachfront. There are 23 one bedroom detached villas very well kitted out with an indoor and outdoor shower.
    Today we’d booked an all day cruise to see some of the other islands, this included a BBQ lunch and opportunities for snorkelling. The lagoon here is reputedly the most beautiful in the South Pacific, now my knowledge of lagoons in this part of the world is, to put it mildly, limited but it is pretty special. Unfortunately today the weather has been dreadful. We had about an hour of warm sunshine but the rest of the day was rain varying between drizzle and torrential! Despite this the colour of the water and the white sand are quite remarkable. Snorkelling was great in such clear water seeing the colourful fish over the coral and there were a few quite large ones. There were about 40 of us and we got chatting to a couple from Frankfurt and a Frenchman who has taken a year off to travel the world. And the first thing they wanted to talk about was.......Brexit!, These island are just as you imagine desert islands to be, palm trees down to white sand and on to blue water, real Robinson Crusoe stuff. The crew on the cruise were great giving lots of information, singing songs and a great BBQ. Despite the weather a good day!
    Read more