Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Hahei

    October 21, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Our B&B here in Hahei is excellent with great views out to sea and a large and comfortable room. Peter and Kay, our hosts, have three rooms but we are the only guests. Hahei is on the north east coast of the North Island and is very quiet at the moment with only about 300 residents. This though moves to over 10,000 in December and January the peak summer season when many people from Auckland come for their holidays.
    Today we have been to the two most popular sights in the area Cathedral Cove and Hot Water Beach. The walk along the coast to Cathedral Cove is quite strenuous as it is up and down and there are a number of steps to negotiate and other coves to visit on the way. Cathedral Cove is great though and well worth the effort. It has a beautiful sandy beach and an archway through the rocks to the next cove which you can get through at low tide which we were able to do. The views out to sea on a lovely day like today were outstanding.
    Later in the day we went to Hot Water Beach and the name describes it well. Two hours either side of low tide you can dig a hole in the sand and the hole will fill with hot water, sometimes the water can be scalding hot a quite extraordinary phenomenon.
    Tonight we ate at the second of just two eating places at Hahei the Church Bistro which unsurprisingly is in an old church. Food was good but not a huge amount of atmosphere so after dinner we returned to last nights venue the Pour House for a nightcap. A highlight on our walk was looking up at the stars that seemed to fill the sky a great sight in an area where there is little light pollution..
    We leave here tomorrow and head south to Rotorua. The weather forecast is not great with high winds and showers and apparently they have had a lot of snow in South Island which is unusual for October.
    See Brexiit’s all going well then.......!
    Read more