Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Another busy day Down Under!

    November 13, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Woke up and switched on TV to discover that the threat of bush fires was no longer catastrophic which is a great relief to everybody here. Had breakfast at our new favourite place, Radleys and then set off walking to the Botanical Gardens about ten minutes from our hotel. They are very well established and in a super position butting up to the waterfront. Seems strange to see roses in full bloom in November! We walked all round the headland past Mrs Macquaries Point where in fact we had been with Sarah on Monday and had coffee at the same place which overlooks an outdoor swimming pool. There are a number of these salt water pools all around the harbour and the next time we are in Sydney (I’m sure there will be a next time) we must try one out.
    At lunchtime we were booked on a Cruise like a local tour around the harbour. We waited on quayside next to one of the largest cruise ships we have ever seen, Ovation of the Seas. Each day that we have been in Sydney there has been a different ship moored at Circular Quay. They seem to arrive in the early hours of the morning and depart late afternoon.Our trip was a four hour tour around the harbour with a barbecue lunch and drinks as part of the package. There were about a dozen of us on the boat and we teamed up with Kevin and Lynn, a couple from Mississippi who we got on famously with and had a good laugh with them for the four hours. The tour was interesting with the skipper pointing out houses of famous Aussies, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Mel Gibson etc. We also had on board a trainee skipper who has often taken part in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race so was able to point out and describe a number of the yachts in the harbour. The harbour itself is the largest natural harbour in the world.
    Arrived back from our cruise around 4:30 quickly back to our hotel to change for we were meeting Cat after work at 5:30. Cat took us up to the floor where she works,the 35th floor of the KPMG building to admire the views. The building is in an area similar to Canary Wharf in London. Had an excellent Thai meal with Cat who is clearly and understandably enjoying the Sydney lifestyle.
    Read more