Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 35

    Harbour to Harbour

    November 15, 2019 in Hong Kong ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Following a brilliant five days in Sydney we were up at 5:30 to catch our 8:50 Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong. Generally checking in and going through customs is very slick these days but not with Cathay. There was a long queue in their area despite the fact we had checked in online. It took an hour from arriving at the airport to eventually getting through customs! The flight itself was fine nearly nine hours and we were met at the airport and driven to our hotel. The traffic in HK is quite unbelievable not a city I have any desire to drive in!
    We are staying on the Kowloon side within walking distance of the harbour and the hotel is very comfortable and very modern.
    Obviously we are a bit concerned about the recent troubles here but so far all we have seen is graffiti stating the desire for democracy.
    Once we were unpacked we took the hotel’s courtesy bus but fairly quickly realised it would be quicker to walk. We had booked cocktails and canapés at Aqua a restaurant and bar overlooking the harbour and at a time when we could watch the daily laser light show from the high rise buildings on the harbour side. It really is a great show coupled with the Christmas lights that are of course in place.
    Aqua is quite close to the Peninsula Hotel, the hotel in HK and adjacent to it are huge shops from the biggest up market names in retail, HK and its people and its Asian tourists clearly are not short of a bob or two!
    Read more