Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    DAY 2 - Florence (to the sky)

    August 24, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 39 °C

    A 4am start to get over our jet lag and see the beautiful Tuscan country side from the sky. Meg was a little nervous about heading up in a hot air balloon (license plate number "I Huge"), but her nerves settled the moment we took flight. The tranquillity was incredible, only to be overshadowed by the morning sunrise. Our landing was smooth despite our guide indicating the basket might tip due to higher wind speeds near the ground. Once back on the ground, we enjoyed a lovely breakfast with local pastries and prosecco (rather a cheeky mimosa for meg). Once back in town, we went back to the hotel for a quick nap that turned into a 4hr sleep.
    Once we emerged from our slumber we visited the Leonardo Di Vinci interactive museum (which was definitely tailored to children, so obviously we loved it) and the more official Leonardo Di Vinci museum - the man clearly had a brain that operated at a different level (including some horrific war machine inventions). We then went to the Dragonfly pub via a few churches, where we relaxed with a few drinks. Before heading for a quick refresh at our accommodation, we walked along the Arno river crossing the bustling Ponte Vecchio bridge and grabbed a quick cocktail at the Piazza della Repubblica. To close out our night we went to The Box bar (which Scott had been calling The Cube all day) for a very cheap and somewhat nasty (sorry Grant) cocktail before heading back to The Dragonfly for a quick night cap (meg needs to ease up on the shots!)
    Looking forward to our Vespa tour tomorrow!
    Read more