Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    DAY 17 - Berlin (tourist thing)

    September 8, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    We had a quick breakfast at the bakery around the corner. Unfortunately, Meg couldn't make it (still feeling unwell).

    Meg decided she was going to spend the first part of the day in bed to recover, given she has seen most of the key tourist sites in Berlin before. The rest of us started our walk from the apartment, first passing the East Wall. The artwork was a mixture of fascinating, moving and downright weird. We continued towards Alexanderplatz and walked past many impressive sites (including the Berliner Fernsehturm (a spire) and grabbed a currywurst for lunch from one of the restaurants underneath. After lunch, we ventured up the Berliner Fernsehturm for 360° views of the city. It was impressive, but there was certainly no way any of us were reading all of the information plaques. We sat down on the steps at Alexanderplatz and enjoyed a cold drink (perhaps partially, given it was a radler) while we planned the rest of our sightseeing. We walked to Checkpoint Charlie, where Meg rejoined the group. Checkpoint Charlie was frankly very underwhelming. It included a reconstructed box checkpoint (similar to what a security guard would sit in at a car park) and some faux sandbags. The next stop on a sightseeing adventure was the Jewish Memorial, but not before we finally got out Bratwurst. This memorial was incredibly moving and saddening, with pillars representing different queues into the camps. The Bradenburg Gate was our next stop. The shear size of it is incredible on its own. After a very short walk in the Tiergarten, we jumped in a Bolt and headed to Tempelhof Airport (an abandoned airport) to sit around and watch the sunset. It wasn't as good as Florence, but sitting around with good friends and a few beers certainly made it one to remember.

    We grabbed some Sudanese food from Sahara. It was just what we needed and was absolutely delicious. The peanut sauce was to die for.

    On Matt's recommendation (seemed to be his local favs), we went to two bars. The first was pretty relaxed with plenty of vintage furniture and a decent cocktail menu. Here, we met up with one of Matt's friends and were treated to two local shots. I can't remember the first, but it had a medicine/listorine taste. Neither of us particularly loved it, but Meg may have bordered on hating it. The second was a Mexicana, each pub has their own take on this. Think of it as a spicy, bloody mary. Scott loved it, Meg not so much.

    The second bar had a slightly weirder, perhaps grungy (but not really) feel to it. Matt effectively described the place as a TAB during the day and a bar/club after 11pm. Matt had a chat with a few guys in there in relation to the pool table. We honestly thought there was about to be a fight. A smile and laugh later, Scott and Jez were on the pool table for doubles (The Germans certainly have a different way of communicating). Not sure whether it was the beers, horrible cues, or the weird rules, but Scott and Jez lost a game they well and truly should have won, missing a few simple shots to seal the game. We took this a sign to head home for the night. Thankfully, we can have a bit of a sleep in before Niki's B'day lunch.
    Read more