Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Dresden

    May 28, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Dresden, capital of the eastern German state of Saxony, is distinguished by the celebrated art museums and classic architecture of its reconstructed old town. Completed in 1743 and rebuilt after WWII, the baroque church Frauenkirche is famed for its grand dome. The Versailles-inspired Zwinger palace houses museums including Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister, exhibiting masterpieces of art like Raphael’s “Sistine Madonna.”

    We strolled around the city that is called the German Florence because of its general appearance. It is a magnificent city centre. Wherever you look all is beautiful! Despite the bombing of Dresden by the British and the American during World War II that destroyed over 6.5 km2 of the city centre, the Germans made a spectacular rebuilding of the area and made it a fairyland city.

    We were just in time to get into Frauenkirche. Actually, we were the last people inside.
    From the outside, it was also amazing to see the Semperoper and the Zwinger. We walked along the Procession of Princes (Fürstenzug) - the largest porcelain mural in the world, depicting a parade of Saxon princes and dukes to commemorate the 1000-year long reign of the Wettin dynasty. It is composed of 25,000 tiles from the porcelain manufacturer Meissen. The mural covers the exterior of the Royal Mews in Auguststrasse. It is a pitty that it lost its status of World Heritage by UNESCO.
    Read more