Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    On the way to Dresden...

    May 28, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    From Berlin to Dresden it was possible to stop in the Palaces and Parks of Potsdam. The city is beautiful, small and well kept and the Palace and its surroundings are astonishing.
    Sanssouci Palace was once the summer home of Frederick the Great, former King of Prussia. On the grounds of the complex, the Renaissance Orangery Palace overlooks Italian-style gardens with fountains. Historic Mill offers city views. English gardens surround neoclassical Charlottenhof Palace. The 19th-century Roman Baths were built in several architectural styles.
    The New Palace is situated on the western side of the Sanssouci Park. The building was begun in 1763, after the end of the Seven Years' War, under King Friedrich II and was completed in 1769, and although we didn't have time to get inside and explore it, it is definitely a place to explore if you are into this architectonical style.
    We also were in Moritzburgh, a castle 13km away from Dresden - the capital of Saxony. It lies on a symmetrical artificial island and is named after Duke Moritz of Saxony, who had a hunting lodge built there between 1542 and 1546. The surrounding woodlands and lakes have been a favourite hunting area of the electors and kings of Saxony.
    In 1972 Moritzburg Castle was one of the locations of the Czechoslovak-German film "Three Nuts for Cinderella", which became a popular fairy-tale movie in Central Europe.
    Read more