Satellite
  • Verona

    December 1, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 7 °C

    Verona one more time. This time started from the opposite way: on top of the hill where the city can be viewed, the river can be seen and the cold air gets into your lungs as if you didn’t even need to make it happen.
    Downhill we ended up in the oldest bridge in the world - UNESCO of course - Ponte Pietra, not before visiting the Roman theatre. This is an open air museum and the whole day we have an history class going on with the Italian teachers in the morning and a specialized tourist guide for the Arena in the afternoon.
    English Literature was obviously focused on the way, wouldn’t it be the city of Romeo and Juliet. We visited the house of Shakespeare’s heroine, touched her breast for luck and gazed at the balcony where she would supposedly be.
    The Roman Empire can be seen all over the city but the Arena is the best preserved one in Italy and nowadays it is still a place for shows - gladiators were substituted by opera or pop concerts. The acoustics is outstanding!
    But the day was far from being over because after “reality lessons” the hosting families of the Italian students took everybody to school for a farewell party with local food prepared by themselves.
    It was an amazing experience. Teachers and students have learned so much from this experience and the purpose of the project was accomplished, but this is just the beginning. We went to Italy to learn, we have put some things in practice there but our school is waiting for us to tell them how we can use photography to motivate students’ awareness of self esteem and safety.
    Read more