Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    The long journey home begins

    July 20, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    It was with much sadness we packed our bags and hugged everyone goodbye this morning. Kelly made pancakes for breakfast for the troupe while Andrew and I went next door to the Casablanca for the "guest experience". I had Moroccan Eggs and Andrew had Chocolate Waffles.

    We drove to the house to pick up our other suitcase and repack everything. We also had to change into "travelling clothes" ready for the Arctic we will be returning to.

    Philadelphia is about 90 minutes from Cape May. It was a pleasant drive through some older townships dating back to the 1700's. On the way we stopped at a Wawa (brand of gas station that sells good, edible food as well) to fuel up the car and ourselves. They had an 8 bay Tesla recharge station. Recharging is free.

    As we had left early in the morning we had time to sightsee in Philly. Having sought advice on the top things to see and do (thanks Phil Matsis) we made our way to see the Liberty Bell which is mostly famous due to the fact that it is cracked. Some claim it was rung on the 4th of July 1776 to celebrate independence and it has been considered an important historical artifact since.

    We then crossed the road to Congress Hall to see where the first Congress was held for the first 10 years while they built Washington DC. It was fascinating to see the first real seat of power. It was in that building that the first 10 amendments to the Constitution were announced and ratified.

    After less than 90 minutes in Philly we were on our way to the airport to catch the first of 3 flights home. We hit a small snag when it turned out our bags were a tad overweight. Following much grumbling and finger pointing we redistributed the weight amongst the luggage and our carry on.

    Security was a little less daunting this time as we knew what to expect. Poppy and I recieved special treatment which wasn't traumatic at all.

    We are now sitting in the airport lounge waiting for our flight which departs in an hour bound for Houston.

    PS we didn't see The Fresh Prince or Rocky
    Read more