Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Shine on, Shine on Harvest Moon...

    September 13, 2019 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 3 °C

    Friday the 13th dawned with the most amazing sunrise made even better with an early catch up call with Aaron (but very late night for him as he just got off work)! Any signs of the wind, rain and cooler temps from yesterday were chased away as the sun rose over the lighthouse across the bay and warmed everything up!

    Today's highlight was hiking the Skerwink Trail, a moderate to difficult 5.3 km loop along the coast where you see amazing scenery. This trail is internationally ranked among the top 35 trails in North America and Europe and it is one of Canada's top 10! Easy to see why as the views are stunningly beautiful- grey beaches down below, rugged cliffs and stove pipe rock structures jutting out of the ocean. The health app on my iPhone recorded an equivalent 34 flights of stairs and I believe it! We later met a local woman who said she runs the trail regularly and does it in 38 minutes!

    All that hiking worked up an appetite so we headed to Two Whales for lunch and some really good lattes. We have not had many lattes on this trip so far and so it was a treat to have one!

    It's was our last day in Trinity area so we went to the waterfront area to check out the little shops. Mirabella's is a place you should check out if you are in the area and also Aunt Sarah’s Chocolates. Lots of yummy choices and you even get to sample! The sales lady (who said she isn't Sarah) told us about 2 tourists from New York State who saw the musical Come From Away and were so touched that they wanted to visit Newfoundland. As well as visiting, they also wanted to show gratitude to any Newfoundlanders they met, so they brought boxes of Hershey chocolate bars in custom wrappers with messages of thanks for the generous spirit shown during 9/11. It was very touching to hear the sales lady (who says she isn't Sarah) tell the story and what a great story! Acts of kindness...doing what you can, when you can, where you can!

    The day continued to get better and better as we had dinner at the Twine Loft before we headed back to Two Whales but for a concert this time! Crooked Stovepipe is a St. John's based band and the oldest bluegrass band in Canada! Amazing talent and the place was packed...literally!

    Another day done and dusted but we laughed together about "packing it all in!" Our day started with a beautiful sunrise and ended with a harvest moon! Grateful for another fantastic day...and we do it all again tomorrow!
    Read more