Satellite
  • Day 5

    On to York

    April 19, 2016 in England ⋅ ☀️ 52 °F

    Up early to have luggage ready by 7:30pm. Love packing - NOT! Downstairs again for the BIG breakfast - enormous variety - sure beats the heck out of your avg continental breakfast.

    Heading towards York and we'll see what the day brings.

    I do have to say that the Tour Director is one really great tour director. Gracious, kind person with fabulous story telling abilities and a wonderful Irish accent. He's been doing this a long time now and is semi-retired, working from May to October and taking the rest of the year off. Had a chance sit down and have a scone and some tea with him and a fellow Tour Director for CIE who was in Stratford on Avon at the same time. They have known each other for 40 years and the gentleman from CIE mentored him in getting started in the business. You could tell they both loved the job. When I see this, I think that is what I should have done many years ago, but not sure I could ever duplicate his amazing personality. Insight Vacations picked a winner here for sure. Conrad who had toured us through much of London was also an outstanding guide. Touring is worth it when you have people with such a wealth of knowledge.

    Picked up a lot of good info on the way up to Stratford on Avon - passed through rolling farm lands covered with bright yellow flowers where the farmers are growing rapeseed and canola. Had no idea this is what it looked like. Michael gave us lots of history lessons - he does know his British history.

    Stopped in Stratford on Avon for a tour of Shakespeare's birthplace. Professional operation going on here - needed more time - once you've toured the home, you can even listen to them perform plays outside. We were watching Romeo and Juliet for a short bit before leaving. Learned a lot of expressions that came from back in the 15 and 16 hundreds that we hear often today and don't realize their origins.

    Strolled the town briefly, had my tea and scones and we were back on the bus heading towards York. On a normal Insight tour, more time would be allotted for many of these activities but in our shortened time period, they are trying to show us as much as possible.
    Glad I'm using Trip Advisor's timeline, as it is recording my entire trip including my pictures, mileages between points and time spent at each place. Nice way to have an automatic diary.

    I digress - on to York. Arriving here at the Hilton, we are treated to a glass of champagne courtesy of Insight and some very tasty chocolates (something that York is known for). As Michael our guide would say in his Irish accent - just a little "flourish" courtesy of Insight to give you a bit more energy for the rest of your day. We toss our stuff in our room and are off for a walk of the town. Beautiful town, could easily spend a day or two here. Incredible church - York Minster here. They were closing in 15 minutes so didn't get a chance to explore the inside of the church - didn't want to pay 10 pounds for 15 minutes. Still after having read Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (highly, highly recommended), I would have loved to spend more time here. (a link to his book - amzn.to/1WiQiX2)

    Did some more strolling through the town - listened to some musicians who were pretty good, stopped in a chocolate and bakery shop - wonderful shop - Betty's of York. (www.bettys.co.uk/tea-rooms/locations/york)

    Back to the hotel with 10 minutes to spare and we are off through the countryside about 10 miles to the south of York to Ye Old Sun Inn, where we were treated to multiple drinks, squash soup, roast beef with Yorkshire pudding (doesn't resemble pudding!) and an extremely rich platter of 3 different desserts. Not sure I'd want to be a tour director - would weigh about 500 lbs.

    Back to the Hotel by 10 - pounding on my journal now.
    Read more