Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38 - Murano, Burano, Venice

    August 16, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today we were up at a time that felt early! 8.30am we had to be at the ferry, a 6 minute walk from our airbnb.
    We caught the ferry over to Murano which is famous for it’s glass blowing factories and small local glass blowers with their shops. We got a coffee once there… I tried the cappuccino and was surprised she put chocolate on top, a westerners dream right there!
    We walked around and it was peaceful before masses of tourists arrived and every shop wasn’t open yet. There were some shops we walked into that the owners wouldn’t even acknowledge our existence so made sure we didn’t hang around in them. We finally found a place that was happy to let you watch their glass blowing at Wave Murano Glass, though you may enter the factory, you must leave via their showroom (some may say gift shop, typical Europe) By this point I had enough of glass and it was getting busy so we got the ferry to Burano… Now I moo’d as we got onto this ferry, but cattle trucks have better conditions than these ferries, we were packed in like sardines and it was hot. Least cattle get water and a feed!
    We got to Burano, it is famous for Lace museum, the bell tower that is leaning (told Katie as we missed Pisa she saw something leaning!) and the colourful houses as this is a fishing island.
    We grabbed lunch, some ice cream and photos and it was starting to get really hot so we opted to take the hour ferry ride back to Venice.

    We got back to the accomodation and had a relax - Katie sorting washing, me going to do the groceries… weird ways to relax!
    I had booked a gondola ride for Katie & I at 6pm so we trotted off to that, it was excellent, Chiara our gondolier took us downtown the back canals of the Jewish Ghetto and surroundings. She let us know about the buildings we were seeing and stories about them, she even sang us a little song at the end that Katie wanted to shrivel up and die at this point! I thought is was hilarious as I knew that was the one thing Katie wanted to avoid! Katie admitted she was nervous how close the gondola was to walls and other boats and had to reframe from saying anything… least it’s not just my driving she wants to use her pretend pedals!

    After the gondola we went back to the apartment and had dinner. After dinner, as we had passes for the Vaporetto ferries for the day, we took a ride on a couple heading for the grand canal to see the sights from the boat and give our legs a break. On the walk home we got our mandatory gelato, probably worst one we’ve had so far but still not bad enough to not eat it!
    Read more