Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42 - Milano

    August 20, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today is our last full day in Italy, seeing we had a late night from the spa last night, it was a slow morning. Also most things don’t open until 10am so wasn’t in a rush.

    After breakfast at the apartment we caught the metro into town. We started the day off at the Duomo, we weren’t going in or up it but had a walk around it. We had to dodge the normal scammers, trying to give you/pay for bird seed for the pigeons (rats with wings) and the ones trying to help take pictures of you.
    We moved to the side of the Duomo to Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, a luxurious shopping centre with shops that we were only too happy to window shop from.
    We walked around the area of San Babila which again had shops that Katie opted to window shop from thankfully. We were hoping to find a certain store with the bag Katie has her eye on, unfortunately due to this time being the main time Italians take off, a lot of the smaller shops were shut.

    We ended up out in an area called Guastalla, again another store shut so we found some lunch. I found a pizzeria called Spontini, they do pizza by the slice and isn’t the average Italian pizza. Thick and crispy base, Katie had margarita and I had one that ended up having blue cheese & bacon on it. It was fantastic.
    We took the metro to the Brera area and walked around the narrow streets, by this time it was getting hot, Katie’s feet had gone back to their normal European ways, so we opted to head to central station to figure out the bus ride in the morning.
    With stuff all help about the morning bus we made one last stop before heading back to the apartment.

    We went to Shoah Memorial of Milan, this exhibit is the spot where many carts got loaded with Jews to get either sent to Asuchwitz or camps in Italy during the war. The carts were loaded at night under the main tracks, they were then shunted forward, moved to the elevator and the cart would rise to the main tracks then hooked up to a locomotive to move. This was so it was out of site of the normal business of the railway station through the day.
    They have carts on display, the elevator that was used, videos of survivors, a library for survivors stories and a classroom for students to come and learn.

    After this we headed back to the apartment, Katie had a nap and I had a beer and caught up on finding penguins.

    We headed out for dinner in the area we are staying in, we ended up at the bar NoLoSo, they offer a drink and an appetiser for 12euro each. I obviously had a spritz, the first appetiser board came out and we were kind of taken back, is that what we paid for?! Then the second came out and it was a great feed!

    We headed back to the apartment to pack ready for our flight in the morning.
    Read more