Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52 - Amsterdam, Netherlands

    August 30, 2023 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Today we were both in need for a sleep in… such a tough life this holiday thing! So we got up late, looked out the window and found it was raining. So our plans switched a bit, we got ourselves ready, had some breakfast and headed to find coffee. We trammed to Ted’s cafe near Anne Frank’s Museum, while we were there I saw Bittenballen on the menu, a Dutch snack filled with veal!
    After coffee I went to the supermarket to try the other Dutch snack I had been told about, a Frinkendal, which is a sausage, the one I had was a sausage in pastry cold… lets say I’ll opt for Bittenballen!

    We went towards town as it was still somewhat raining as we wanted to collect some things from some shops. It started to clear so we thought our original plans could go ahead. We trained out too Zannse Schans, home of the clogg museum and the windmills. This is an free open air village museum, though you have to pay for certain attractions like going into windmills and some museums. We walked around the clogg museum, sitting in the clogs outside & standing in the over size pair, seeing the cheese factory (so touristy) and of course a walk around the windmills. As we were walking the windmills it started to rain… actually coming in sideways is a better term! So we made our way to the station.

    We stopped off at Zaandam, which is a picturesque city in North Holland, Netherlands - other side of the river to Amsterdam! But has had city rights since 1811 as I learnt, so the more you know for that fact! We had been told Zaandam is a must, if you hadn’t seen cbd Amsterdam yes, but the main attraction is Inntel Hotel Amsterdam, an upscale hotel on an eclectic structure.
    We trained back to our hotel for a bit of a rest after this.

    I wanted to venture for one last adventure before leaving Amsterdam, so we caught this bus down to Artis, Amsterdam’s Zoo, but seeing it was closed we didn’t go in, but if you go to the side near a local restaurant, you’ll find a nice sitting area with a view of Flamingoes. While we were there, there was a local couple celebrating a birthday and some tourists that were commenting on how one of them didn’t think they were real… Amsterdam right there!
    After the Flamingoes and seeing their reality we wanted some dinner. Off to Foodhallen we go, and yes I checked google they were open! Katie opted for a healthy Mexican food bowl, I went for a chicken burger from a burger bar. Like Little High, finding a table is hard but Katie managed while I sorted drinks! For dessert I figured I’d have to have a Maltese McFlurry once more!

    We trammed back to the accomodation and packed seeing this is our last night in Amsterdam opting for not a late one.
    Read more