Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68 - Nea Styra, Greece

    September 15, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    This morning we woke up to our neighbours fishing and eating fish for breakfast! This would be a lone fisherman with 2 hungry cats keeping him company!

    Thanos organised a mini bus to take us up to the Acropolis of Styra.
    The castle was built on the wall of the ancient Acropolis of Styra, during the Frankish period, and its megalithic gate survives to this day. Along with the ruins of the castle there is a chapel, the chapel of the virgin, that was built in the 13th century. UNESCO have wanted to pull this down as it doesn’t have the same historic sentiment as the Acropolis, they came to an agreement to let it stay with no renovations or repairs to be made. When they made this decision, locals rushed up here and made concrete beams to support the roof! Thanos says UNESCO wasn’t happy but least now it will stand longer!

    We took the mini bus further down the hill to see the one of the Dragon Houses of Styra, they were built with massive stone blocks without mortar and large stone slabs for the roofs. The reason they are called dragon houses is due to the large stones would of been challenging to move so when found it was thought to be that dragons moved the stones to build the houses. The houses are still in discussion as to how old or who actually built them to this day though.

    We stopped in Styra for a quick drink and the mini bus left so we could walk back to the boat down in Nea Styra.
    Once back on the boat we had time for a quick swim, including jumping off the boat before lunch and us leaving the dock to go to our next village.

    Once at the next port Marmari, we found 5 kittens waiting for us to say hi with their Mum on the dock. I made good friends with them. Thanos even gave them some milk and food, he also told us they belong to one of the fishing boats owners.
    We went for a walk to the north of the port to see the Cycladic built houses of the white wash and blue painted roofs and trimmings. So Katie had a photo shoot here.

    Dinner was at a local tavern along the water with yet again, a lot of cats walking around waiting for some dropping from the table.
    After dinner we went to have a couple of drinks with some people from the boat while watching the All Blacks play on one of their phones.
    Read more