Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72 - Paros, Greece

    September 19, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌬 24 °C

    Today we had breakfast at the resort before we headed off to see the centre of the island.

    We drove over to Lefkes, a small village near the centre of the island.
    Upon arriving 2 lovely young ladies couldn’t work out the road rules and were to the right of the road trying to turn left with no indication but their hands. I hardly saw their hands so proceeded to turn with another car. When we got down to park they proceeded to flip us off… I saw that! Us laughing about it probably didn’t help but it was funny!
    We walked through the village looking through a couple of local shops making our way through to the Holy Trinity Lefkes Orthodox Church. The church is mainly made out of local marble inside which is a site to behold, unfortunately no photos allowed.

    We walked around the houses in the village, this is like the other villages built to the Cycladic style with the white wash and blue roofs. We do like when we see houses with some render showing the existing brick underneath, gives it some more character.
    We ended up finding a local jewellery shop, Katie had soon found a necklace she liked and brought it.
    On the way out of the village to the parked car, we met a lot of the local cats that seemed to be well looked after and somewhat fixed which was good to see.

    We drove to a village nearby Kostas which we spotted from the main road, not a lot happening in this village. We gathered more locals live here seeing not many tourists around.

    The ancient marble quarries were a couple minute drive away. I don’t know what I was expecting but the cave in the hill was shut due to falling rock & ruins of houses with marble rocks laying around. I was expecting more of an open cut sort of quarry.

    Lunch was on Katie’s next hit list, so we drove to Paralia Krios beach. We treated ourselves to a lunch at Aroda resturant on the water. This was the best octopus I’ve had since being in Greece! (Shows you get what you pay for sometimes!)

    After lunch we got changed and headed for the beach to cool off. This beach is very sheltered from the Northerly winds, though it was more European than we bargained for… there were a couple of sites we saw along the beach for free.

    We went to the resort, I had a swim from our room. The ocean is really shallow here and there’s a sand bar further out, from there it proceeds to get deeper. After laying on the sun beds we freshened up and headed to a local tavern nearby. This food was nothing to write home about but we really stuffed the wine order up here! There’s was 1litre house wine (should of ordered that and left some) or 0.5l bottle that was fairly cheap, we opted for that. Little did we know this wine had a very strong rosemary taste along with other green herbs… well we learnt the hard way!

    We called it a night after this to get some rest for tomorrow.
    Read more