Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 85 - Amman, Jordan

    October 2, 2023 in Jordan ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    We woke up from our bumpy, rocky and lots of vibrating noises sleep we had on the sleeper train. Breakfast was served with a tea, I was more concerned about the tea flying at me due to the sudden random breaking of the train, than trying to eat. We ended up only eating the croissant and have a small packet of chips we had brought onto the train.

    Once at Giza station we took the bus to Pharohs Hotel in Cairo, this is where we will be picked up at 10am to go to the airport for our plane to Jordan.

    We got freshened up at the hotel, I ran out to get us some coffees, for take away coffees they wrap the cups up in plastic and hand it to you in a plastic bag… environmentalists eat your heart out!

    At 10am we said goodbye to the people that were not coming to the Jordan part of the tour & headed for the airport.
    I have never been through so much security at an airport like Cairo airport! Every bag gets checked multiple times and every one gets pat downs multiple times.
    We grabbed some McDonalds with the group and headed to the gate.

    The flight was bumpy but only one hour and twenty five minutes. We got informed it was a snack with a light refreshment, we got a meal but because of the turbulence it was a very rushed ordeal!

    We arrived in Amman and got escorted through border control and customs to the vehicle waiting to take us to the hotel.
    Once in the van, the driver asked which hotel we are staying at and none of us knew which hotel, and we all thought he was joking. That was until he started ringing Intrepid to find which hotel we were going too. It was lightly raining on our journey into Amman, Jordan only averages 120mm of rain a year, so this was a rare sight! That being said, no one knows how to drive with wet, greasy roads and we ended up sideways around one corner. I was always skeptic all of his braking movements as well (should of been called sliding more so).

    We got to the hotel and found out we had a tour meeting with our new guide, Omar, at 6pm.
    We ventured to a resturant suggested by him called Hashem Resturant. We ended up getting a mix of foods to share, a lot of different hummus, falafel & stuffed falafel. It was very traditional sort of resturant that was a very good meal.

    After dinner, I wanted to see Rainbow Street, others wanted to have a look too so we climbed the numerous stairs up towards Rainbow Street.
    Rainbow Street was a bit of an over hype, but was still good to see Amman at night and the relaxed feeling.

    Katie and I grabbed some supplies from the supermarket, had a bit more of a walk through downtown and then heading back to the hotel for the evening.
    Read more