Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88 - Petra, Jordan

    October 5, 2023 in Jordan ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Today we had breakfast at the camp and had to be ready to be taken back to the local town by 7:30am.

    We took the twenty minute drive to the local town and our bus was awaiting us to take us towards Petra today. We said goodbye to the Bedouins that had hosted us for the last two nights and set off on the two and a half hour journey to Petra.

    We arrived just outside of Petra & stopped to see Moses’ Spring. Moses' Spring is one of two possible locations in Jordan for the site where Moses supposedly struck the rock with his staff and water gushed forth to the thirsty Israelites. We got told we could fill our bottles here but the water wasn’t flowing to much so we opted to play the safe card. The locals of Petra made an 18km sealed water system to bring this water to Petra.

    We dropped the bags off to the hotel and walked down to the entrance of the Petra site with Omar. Omar gave us a tour of the site and took us on a 4km walk into the site. He ended the tour all the way down to the basin & he let us make our own way back at our leisure. We were very hot and didn’t have the most amazing sleep so we decided to slowly walk back to the treasury and then towards the exit.

    We got freshened up and just chilled out in the room for a bit. We then headed to the Cave Bar for a drink, this isn’t a touristy bar that was dug out to look like a cave, this was one of the actual caves used by the locals once upon a time.
    After a drink, Omar wanted to see the group at 6:30pm for a meeting for the next day. We have a free day tomorrow to explore Petra so he gave us recommendations on how to see the Monastery & other locations throughout the site.

    We had dinner at the hotel which was a buffet meal.
    Read more