Satellite
  • Day 66

    Kapoho Tide Pools

    May 19, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Tide pools can only mean one thing ... fish!
    But what a remarkable setting. Basically there are several tidal pools protected from the ocean by a reef, so the water in them is really still - no fighting the swell to get pics 😆 I've been told there is great coral in some of the other pools (I'll be back!) but I was quite content in the one I explored today which was lava covered in algae. The water was really clear - no sand to get churned up, but at times the visibility was really poor due to convection currents - I could see them - a rather odd experience for everything to suddenly become blurred. It's obvious in my videos but photos just look out of focus! I was a bit slow working it out, but there are hot pools nearby so I guess it's all the same thing since I'm living on Kilauea (the active volcano)! Very cool indeed!!!
    Honestly I could go on and on about all this - I just remembered I saw a snowflake moray eel, but too far down for a good pic.

    But anyway, after my snork I headed back to the Lava Tree State Park and wandered around the whole thing - only a short walk which is just as well because the sun was scorching by then - a real contast to the evenings and overnight - layers and blanket definitely required.
    Read more