Show on map
  • Day11

    Sunday blues

    July 23, 2017 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    It's 7.53 am and we are on our way back to Kathmandu from Pokhara. It's the end of the weekend so we feel a bit sad, as it's been so much fun! But only one week of volunteering until we are going to Kuala Lumpur.

    Last night was boiling hot in the hostel room! We didn't manage to sleep until past 12.30, and both had to take cold showers to cool down (it probably also didn't help that we saw the biggest cockroach ever next to Hope's bed).

    Our alarm went off at 6 am, and we got ready, checked out, and sat in the common area whilst waiting for the hostel coach to take us to the bus station. Hope didn't fancy eating, but I had the pancakes for breakfast.

    Today is going to be a very long journey, we are looking forward to getting off. It's already extremely bumpy and we have not long set off. Not fun!

    This journey is so bumpy and so scary, that I literally just cried. The driver is going so fast and keeps overtaking, and we are on the highest cliffs!! Luckily Hope is fine so she's holding my hand haha. I can't wait for it to be over!!!!


    WE ARRIVED Alive and well ... eventually (thank goodness)! The journey ended up being 9 hours again as we were stuck in traffic for over 2 hours when we arrived in Kathmandu.In the end we got out, but it was near to the bus park so it helped us out. As the traffic was horrendous, the taxi driver charged us 800 rupees for a taxi back to the host family. We thought it was normal due to the traffic (though he later charged 1000 when he said it was 'much further than we agreed' ... lies! But even so, the family said he should have charged no more than 450 so we were well and truly screwed over!!!).

    Last night was great. We have the host family our gifts, and all sat round the table. Anita was so happy to have us all back, and everyone's English is so much better. Anita showed us her wedding photos (we are now thinking that she got married at 20 and not 12 and that she confused the numbers). We had dinner, and Hope and I were having seconds of everything as we were absolutely starving. From such bad meals the last few days, we were actually so excited to be eating dal-bhat again (we never thought we would be saying that!).

    After dinner, instead of cleaning up as normal, she let us go down as she knew we were tired. It was so sweet of her.

    Sheri felt poorly so had an early night, but me, Melanie and Hope watched the wolf of Wall Street in our room. We watched most of it, until we were too tired to stay awake (and are watching the rest of it now .. on Monday!)

    We had no electricity annoyingly as the weather was so bad, so we couldn't charge our phones overnight! But we asked Melanie to wake us up this morning.
    Read more