Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    En route to Paradise

    August 4, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    On Friday August 4th, we were ready in reception at 6.30 am to be picked up and taken to the ferry port. They ended up being an hour and a half late (annoying), so we VERY almost missed the boat. Luckily we got on just in time.

    We sat upstairs - but the boat was so rocky that Hope ended up getting soaked at one point (which she was obviously very happy to be woken up to). The boat was so choppy, that people were throwing up (one man being right next to Hope ... again ... she was very happy about this haha).
    The people outside on the deck were getting absolutely drenched but they could barely get up and walk inside as it was so rocky!!
    I clock watched the whole time as I couldn't wait for it to be over!!

    We finally arrived on Gili Trawangan, and finally got off the boat and found our luggage. There are no cars on the Gili Islands - which sounds like bliss! However, the only way to get around the island is by foot, bike, or the most commonly used method - by horse (which looked more like small ponies). However, we were appalled to see how the horses were being treated - some so skinny, being heavily whipped, and being forced to carry luggage and people that were way too heavy for their size. There was no way that we would have ever used one - even if it meant walking miles!!

    Luckily our hostel, My mate's Place (that's the name of the hostel ... not actually my mate haha), was not too far. However we did get completely lost, and ended up walking round for about an hour in boiling hot conditions (luckily it was completely sunny with no clouds there ... but not ideal at that moment in time), with no drink, absolutely starving (we hadn't eaten all day), heavy bags ... and obviously both very mardy and stressed (though we still were glad we did not get a horse of course).

    We eventually arrived at the hostel, and it was great! We only had one night booked as we had no idea of our plans in advance (but regret it when we saw it as it was great, and online it said it was full). We were able to check in straight away in to our 3 bed hostel room which had single beds, lots of space, and huge lockers.

    We went to the beach to grab some food (Hope had spring rolls and chips, and I had noodles), then spent the afternoon sunbathing. The beach was just beautiful - turquoise clear waters and white sand (just a shame about how rocky the sea was which was very painful ... until a few days later we discovered areas with no rocks!). I rented a snorkel (25 rupiah to rent until 5 pm) and went out snorkelling for a bit. The views were great - however I cut myself on the coral on my way back out due to the strong current and all of the rocks. We grabbed dinner on the way back to the hostel (both craving a pizza and nachos as per) , got ready, then socialised in the bar area.

    We played beer pong for a bit (it took Hope some talking in to, but she loved it in the end and was actually v good at it ... but hated the beer haha!), then bumped into Jess and two of the girls from SkyGarden. We ended up spending the night with Jess, Phoebe and Jen. We went to a number of different bars on the island and ended in one of the clubs (there is always one that stays open late!). It was such a great first night!

    We also managed to extend our stay for 3 nights (even though it said full online)... and those 3 nights turned into 6 nights as we loved it so much!
    Read more