Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    The most amazing day

    August 7, 2017, Bali Sea ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Sunday 7th was one of the best days of the whole trip so far!!

    We had the most amazing day and best night!!

    We were up and ready to leave at 10 am, met the girls, and went for breakfast at the Banyan Tree - nicest breakfast ever! Hope had pancakes (which were so thick and lovely), and I had avocado on toast with balsamic vinegar, caramelised onions, feta cheese and poached egg - d e l i c i o u s ! ! We had fresh juices too - all for only 100 rupiah each (approximately a fiver).

    We paid 250 rupiah each, and hired a private boat to go snorkelling around 3 different spots, and stop at Gili Air for lunch. It was incredible! We saw some beautiful underwater statues at the first stop, turtles at the second, and beautiful coral reefs at the third stop. It was so much fun - the boat had a glass bottom, and a roof on top which we all sat on. We were sad we didn't think to bring speakers and beers haha!
    We had a lovely lunch at Gili Meno too, which was great as it allowed us to see the island. As we had seen it, we decided that we didn't need to stay there as it is similar to Gili T - but more expensive and not as much night life.

    After the 4 hour boat tour, we went to a few shops (the shops on the island are incredible - such cute little shops selling beautiful clothes and bikinis, and great souvenirs). Then Hope and I hired bikes and cycled to the other end of the island to watch the sunset (40 rupiah each).
    The Gili T swings are famous - and are all over social media! So we expected the most beautiful swing in the middle of the ocean, where you could swing whilst watching the sunset ..... sadly we were disappointed. Instead, it was a number of different swings, not in the ocean as the tide was too low, with hotel names on the top of the swings - it felt more like they were just trying to promote business. Not the beautiful scenes we had imagined. People were queuing to get the 'perfect shot' for social media with photographers taking their pictures. They were not even looking at the sunset. Strange because the photos all come out amazing - but it's not how it looks!

    So instead of being touristy, we decided to walk out on the low tide to some rocks about 50 m in and watch the sunset there, whilst being so close to where the waves were crashing. It was so beautiful!
    As the sun set, the tide started to slowly come back in, so it was time to leave.

    We went back to the hostel, got ready, and went out to pre in the hostel. Hope and I got a bottle of vodka from the shop and kept going to our room to top up our drinks (for a cheaper night).

    We had such a fun night!!! Us girls all get on so well, so we had the most hilarious moments. We were in the club until about 2 ish, then ended up chilling on the beach for an hour. It was all very eventful on the beach!

    We went to get some food on the way back, then walked back to the hostel. We had to say goodbye to Phoebe so we were all so sad. It's only been a couple of days, but we've all had so much fun together!

    Me and Hope were wide awake so didn't actually end up sleeping until 5 am ish haha!!

    Probably one of the best days yet of our travelling experience
    Read more