Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Enjoyed Longreach

    June 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    We all enjoyed our visit to Longreach, although Kotzy is still wondering why the train driver on the Spirit of Queensland has to ‘beep the horn’ so loud and so many times before leaving the station early in the mornings. Not only that, on a number of occasions helicopters were doing donuts and circle work straight above their van waking Jo and himself, not sure they appreciated our location. So handy to catch a flight, or a train out of Longreach or what if we had needed the Flying Doctor? There were sounds and sights you don’t get TO experience on a farm in Robertstown. We all did lots of touristy things, in the main street we drank lots of coffees and soon worked out if we all shopped ‘locally’ for clothes we could all look pretty much the same.
    Checks and flanellette with western style boots seem to be the big sellers. We all went along to the Cobb & Co Starlight Dinner Cruise which was awesome really, with lots and lots of laughs mostly provided by ‘Lane’ who was our Captain who told jokes whilst manoevering the boat up the river with great skill and commentary. A lot of the time he drove us around in circles as the river is not very long.Dinner was good, and we finished the night with tea and damper and then we jumped back on the Bus for the ride back to the CPark. in Winton. It was a short distance, with only one stop along the way as this time we managed to find a ‘long drop’ for Polly. Needless to say, on checking into this Park again it has fullfilled ALL our expectations! We are not on a flightpath, or anywhere near a train station, but an apology was offered on check-in at the distance we have to walk to the toilet and shower block as the park is being extended and is still a work in progress. Naturally we scored sites in the ‘work in progress bit’ the newest section, this ensures we get the ‘best overall Queensland Caravan Park experience’! Handy for BB and the Mansells that walk every morning to keep fit, they can now walk to the toilet and back together. The boys were so entertained with the Bobcats, rubble being dumped and cement trucks coming and going this morning that Polly suggested the ‘workers’ deserved morning tea, so we gave them our left over Scones with jam and cream!. Last night following an early arvo Happy Hour where we did not stick to the rule of Twisties only (cheese and biscuits making us all too fat) we made our way to the camp bonfire along with lots of other campers to watch the sun go down. It did not take long before BB and Kotzy took over the fire and made sure it was blazing hot and no one could get near it. Today we have all noticed there are way too many flies in Winton diesel is more expensive $2.49.9 but the temperature was 25 and beautiful. There are (4) hotels, (1) tiny Supermarket and (6) Opal Shops and a handful of other shops. The boys left to drop off their Yabby Nets late in the morning to Pelican Point on the Thompson River and managed to trap a few. Not sure why it is called Thompson River, as to me it looked more like a waterhole. We girls had washing to do, but once on the line we went into town to browse the Opal shops, Polly was intrigued with a resident ginger cat in one of the shops. . All very nice and relaxing then we all found our way to ‘Gregory’s’ Hotel where we joined the boys for a drink. Quick turnaround taking a few ‘budgie’ pictures in the Bush (which have not been edited so the colours are true as taken) with the girls then back to town to watch the ‘first screening’ of Lee Kernaghan’s documentary “Boy from the bush” the story of his life and music (Winton featured in the film hence first screening) we watched the film in an open air theatre in the heart of the town. . It was great, although it would have been even better had I been told it was ‘open air’ by the ‘others’ #!! as I only wore my shorts and a thin top and the temperature drops down to minus in the evenings, no amount of alcohol keeps you warm in those circumstances. Pictures are from Longreach and here in Winton..
    Read more