Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Puno

    July 6, 2016 in Peru ⋅ 🌙 9 °C

    Javier transferred us to the airport and made sure we got to security without any issues. The local tour operator, Metropolitan Tours, has been very thorough and we've been impressed with their attentiveness. They have offices in Peru, Columbia, Ecuador, Chile, and Brazil. The 1 hour flight to Juliaca was uneventful and we were met by Erik for the transfer to our hotel in Puno.
    The elevation of both Juliaca and Puno, an hour's drive away, is 12,500 feet. In Cusco we were at just above 11,000 feet. We've had a decent amount of time to acclimate though brought Diamox with us. I took it once, before arriving in Cusco, but it caused me to have annoying tingling of my hands, so I opted not to take it any more. Ken has had only mild tingling so has continued to take it.
    At the airport today, I developed a mild headache which improves as long as I drink a lot of water. We did notice that we were out of breath though after only walking up 16 stairs at our hotel!
    Our hotel, Casa Andina Private Collection is on the shore of the expansive, Lake Titicaca (which, seriously, is just fun to say!) The hotel is quite nice and, we had the good fortune (if I truly believe that a certain travel agent/mother didn't have anything to do with it!) to get an upgrade to a suite. Our room is very nice with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and beautiful room-wide lake views. It was a perfect room in which to spend a day if we couldn't be on a luxury train. I, for one, finished the final season of Downton Abby while Ken read.
    Thank you mom!
    We had a delicious lunch in the hotel restaurant though service, as it has been throughout Peru, is slow. You always have to ask for the check or you will never leave!
    Our guide for tomorrow, Maria, showed up at the hotel to discuss tomorrow's plans. Not bad service!
    For dinner we opted to share a cheese plate by the crackling wood fire in the lobby. Hace frío en Puno!
    Early start tomorrow, so we're off to bed.
    Read more