Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Exploring The Okavango Delta

    July 4, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ 🌬 13 °C

    We got to sleep in today - a whole hour! They wake us up every morning with coffee and an hour later we are at breakfast. Another chocolate muffin for me! 😊
    We went out on a speed boat to search for wildlife. We saw hippos, crocodiles, elephant and lots of birds. Dad was happy. My favorite was the bright green 'little bee eater'.
    At noon, mom and dad went on their helicopter ride while Ken and I ate a quick lunch. A 1/2 hour later, we were driven to the helicopter pad (less than a 1/4 mile.) The ride was very fun. We got to add buffalo, ostrich and tsessebe (the fastest antelope) to our list of animals seen.
    After, we enjoyed a nice rest on our deck.
    We had tea at 3:30 and then went out for our afternoon excursion at 4. Today we traveled by mocoro (a dug out canoe for 2) navigated by a guide pushing us with a long rod through the grasses near the lodge. It was peaceful and relaxing. We saw several frogs and beautiful birds. We met up with other mocoros at a tablecloth lined table in the shallow water with champagne and a small snack. Attached to the champagne was a happy anniversary note to the Lessers and Bishops. 😊 Onx snuck out of the grasses to greet us. Everyone had a glass of champagne in the mocoro and it was lovely!
    We went back to the lodge and watched the sunset from the lodge-claimed 'most exclusive bar in the world'. It was beautiful!
    We had a Botswanese BBQ for dinner (appropriate given that it's July 4th today!) and staff entertainment to conclude the dinner. Dinner itself was mediocre but who's complaining. 😉 Anyway, any dinner accompanied by the beautiful sounds of bell frogs is perfect!
    Very nice day!
    Read more