Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    And on to Zimbabwe

    July 8, 2017 in Zimbabwe ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Had a shortened game drive this morning from 7 to 10:30. Only a pride of lions worth mentioning though they did perform when they suddenly ran after a Steenbok. It was quick though with no catch.
    Our 14 seater flight left for Kasabi at 11:25. This time I was prepared! Scopolamine patch, Meclizine and Zofran to start then no looking outside the window and staying distracted playing a game on my iPad. Worked like a charm! The flight was 40 minutes long. We were met by Yvonne, our guide for this last portion of our trip. She seems wonderful - beautiful English and incredibly knowledgeable. The historical and current political/societal conflict in Zimbabwe is extraordinarily depressing. It is a true dictatorship here led by Robert Mugabe (who is 93 years old). There is a 95% unemployment rate! Zimbabweans are required to use banks to save money with strict limits on what cash can be withdrawn. The government changed currency suddenly several years back (from a highly devalued currency to the US dollar). This was done overnight and those with a lifetime of savings in the banks, lost it all. There is enormous corruption and voter fraud here so little changes. Makes one grateful to live in a democratic country!
    Yvonne drove us the 10 minutes into Zimbabwe. We had to purchase our visas (good for both Zimbabwe and Zambia which is very close) and clear customs. This took about 30 minutes including time in line. She then drove us 60km (about 40-50 minutes) to Victoria Falls where she dropped us off at the Victoria Falls Hotel. Very elegant hotel much like the Grand Hotel in Mackinac Island - fancy in its heritage, location and view but small rooms with little storage (no towel rods which is strange). We are in room 136 and mom in dad in room 137. Unfortunately, we are on the 2nd floor with no elevator here which is tough for both mom and dad.
    We had 45 minutes before we left for a helicopter ride above the falls at 4. (12-15 minute ride for $150/person). I got the co-pilot seat with great views and opportunities for photos. It was a beautiful first view of the falls. Given that Victoria Falls is part of a National Park there were warthogs right on the property too!
    We were back at the hotel by 5:30pm and went down for dinner on the hotel terrace at 6. I had a yummy ceasar salad and Ken's chicken sandwich was delicious. (Ice cream sundae was weak though) 😕. It's annoying to have to pay for our meals again not to mention, they charge for still water!
    Up to the rooms by 8 and, I am totally ready for bed!
    Read more