Satellite
  • Day 253

    Our last day....

    May 17, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    We spent our last day wandering around Fremantle, enjoying the sunshine, visiting the Shipwreck Galleries museum and enjoying a seafood platter lunch. Sadly they did let us out of the prison, so we do have to come home after all....

    As we come to the end of our Big Adventure, our thoughts inevitably turn to home... Whilst we could all happily continue travelling, there are some things we are looking forward to about coming home and others we aren't. Of course, we are looking forward to seeing our family and friends again and to having the space and relative luxury of our own home, own beds and own shower (Solana is looking forward to a bath!) and having clean feet (why can you never seem to have truly clean feet whilst you're travelling?). We're looking forward to not having to pack/unpack every day and to having more than just a few sets of clothes to choose to wear, to clean clothes & ready access to a washing machine. We're not looking forward to having to set an alarm every morning, returning to work and being separated from one another (especially Solana). It will be good not to have to budget for everything or to search for cash machines with no charges but the credit card bills we're returning to will be less welcome! It will be good to have our wide selection of kitchen implements to choose from and to be reunited with our electric toothbrushes but not to not having our cleaner anymore or having to complete my dental treatment..... I'm looking forward to cooler weather but Laura will miss the heat; the lighter evenings will be very welcome (the sun has been setting around 5.45pm here). We're all looking forward to having a variety of food and own home-cooked food; I'm also looking forward to a good Bradford curry. I'm looking forward to listening to the radio and going to the pub quiz again but not to the awful British traffic. It will be nice not having to spend nearly every evening looking for a place to sleep the next night but I actually think Solana will miss the excitment of seeing our new cabin/room every couple of days! It will be good having reliable plug sockets and Solana is looking forward to being reunited with her toys. Most of all we're looking forward to making the most of our last Summer (as cheaply as we can!) before Solana starts achool....
    Read more