Satellite
  • Day 67

    Don is a Trooper!

    July 12, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Our friend Don arrived yesterday morning and we had a plan to address his jet lag as quickly as possible. We fed him a high protein breakfast then took a good, long 12 kilometer hike around Amsterdam giving him a good sense of the city. We then watched an engaging Wimbledon tennis match in which Roger Federer was out-dueled by kevin Anderson in extra sets followed by a World Cup soccer match in which Croatia beat France. Don stayed awake til the end of regulation then hit the sack to end his first day.

    Today we lit out on a 36 kilometer bike ride through the villages and farmlands to the north of the city. We stopped quite a bit for coffee, tea, apple tarts and ice cream. In Monnickendam we stopped in a waterside café run by Philadelphia, a company that supports people with developmental disabilities. Sort of a vocational venture. Very pleasant. The tea and apple tarts were delicious. They also run a glass art studio and shop.

    Here's a link to a short video showing part of the ride: https://photos.app.goo.gl/evyy34ihrriemYbc7
    (It wasn't nearly as windy as the camera makes it sound; honest ;)

    Tomorrow we'll hit some museums and borrow a boat to explore the canals.
    Read more