Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 68

    Canal Boat Hire or Gracht Boot Huur

    July 13, 2018 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Nancy and I have clocked several hundred miles walking around the canals of Amsterdam over the past month. At least that's what Google Timeline tells us. A week ago I decided to take a look at the city from the water. I found a company called Barqo which lists private boat owners who are willing to let their boats. There are all kinds of boats listed, launches, rowboats, motor motor boats, sailboats, and yachts. Insurance is provided through the site. Not too many kayaks listed though. I found a small motorboat for about 100 euro for 4 hours.

    We spent the morning relaxing before walking to nearby Westerkerk for a noon organ recital. I've included a photo of that glorious instrument. The rest of the afternoon was spent visiting a new exhibit of at the Stadsarchief city archive. It features the street photography of a photographer, Dolf Toussaint, working in Amsterdam for several decades from the 50s through the 70s. There's a shot of his work included in the photos as well. A link to the exhibition is here: https://www.amsterdam.nl/stadsarchief/agenda/to…

    The late afternoon and evening was spent plying the canals of Amsterdam. Wine, beer, a cheese plate, and all-you-can-eat liverwurst were included.

    A link to more photos from the evening can be found here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/mDSpKvdTCbSf6t78A
    Read more