Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2 - Brandenburg Tor

    August 15, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    My weather app was absolutely spot on. At 2am the heavens opened, and thunder and lightning commenced operation 'keep them awake'. I've never heard thunder so loud. It went on for at least half an hour. Inconceivably, Matthew managed to sleep through it!
    We had a late breakfast in the flat, and strolled up to the underground. Alexanderplatz (the bit we managed to reach, at least) was hot, scruffy and full of shops - not what we needed today. So we got back onto the underground and headed out to Brandenburg Tor. Very hot in open sun, so found shade first in a cafe for milkshakes (and cards, of course) and later in Tiergarten where Andy could rest properly, on his back, on a handy stone bench! Matthew and I walked to see the Reichstag, and then to the wonderful Holocaust memorial, built in 2005. We tried to make an educated guess about how many concrete columns there are, and decided on 2000 - we discovered it's actually 2711. Amazing place to go into.
    Lion Burger hosted us for dinner, where Matthew continued his staggering losing streak at "Beat the Cox" (our current card game of choice) and we visited a very lovely Turkish ice cream shop on the way home.
    Read more