Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 5 Erfurt and Weimar, Germany.

    December 12, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    Another exhausting day but so cool. We left Nuremberg on a highway that was lane to lane trucks and eventually almost came to a stand still, forcing our skilful driver to take an alternative and slightly longer route to Erfurt. We had never seen so many trucks! Our route took us up over a pass, through forest and through several very long tunnels. We saw our first snow as it was along the side of the road and around the forest areas.
    We arrived in Erfurt to find the most beautiful old town square complete with Christmas market and the highest Ferris wheel yet. We enjoyed two hours of free time wandering the back streets where there were many lovely little gift shops, and they were a good change from the markets. We stopped for delicious toasted sandwiches at a stall and sat on the street watching the world go by. It was about 10 degrees so very mild. Back on the bus it was only another 45 minutes before we reached Weimar. Again we were dropped in the old town centre and left to wander. This town had the most beautiful Christmas street lights and again we were happy exploring the back streets as well as the market area. It was only 10 minutes back to our hotel. Today we feel we got to know some of our fellow travellers and everyone warming up and becoming more friendly.
    Read more