Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Huckleberry Mountain

    September 26, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Mon 26th Sept. Yesterday morning after our restless train blasting night, we went back to Apgar campground to see if we could get a site, which we did. It was a lovely sunny day, although still a bit cool. We got on our bikes and headed along the bike tracks, firstly to the nearby Apgar Visitor centre, and then a few miles down the road to the West Glacier Visitor Centre. Mainly to use WiFi but also to try and suss out where to next. The rest of the day was really just lounging around at the campground.
    This morning another beautiful blue sky sunny day - great to get the shorts back on - we decided to head up Huckleberry Mtn. This was a gentle climb for the first 6.5 km, gradient average about 11%, then it flatten right out for a couple of kms and then the final km was a bit more steep up to the Lookout building. Not the most exciting views, but what was really enjoyable was the autumn colors now happening, although the photos again don't really capture them. Towards the top my stomach started protesting, and the whole body started feeling a bit dodgy, so after a rest in the sun at the top, made a slowish trip down. Hike stats: 18.65 km, active time 3 hr 47, elevation gain 821m, highest altitude 2008 m. Once down drove to Fish Creek pinic area on Lake McDonald and had a few hours relaxing and reading on the lake shore. Steps D 28821 / V 28592.
    Read more