Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Grand Palace, Bangkok

    April 2, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Heading out of the Sheraton we take the local boat service (red line) for 45 baht for 3 of us (that's about £1) to Chang Pier. A short walk gets us to the entrance to the Grand Palace, one of the key tourist sites in Bangkok. The palace has been the official residence of the Kings of Siam (and later Thailand) since its construction in 1782. Interesting thought is that a lot of buildings in Bangkok, including temples, are not as old as they look.

    The Grand Palace is a collection of buildings rather than a single one and we pass a relentless succession of intricately decorated temples. Gold, gold leaf adorns many buildings and statues.

    We see a changing of the guard as we pass Phra Maha Montian on the way to the main palace building.

    More info at : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Palace#Phra….

    It is very hot and humid by the time we finish here at about 3pm so it is time for a quick trip back to the hotel and a swim before heading out again for dinner.

    I would normally steer well clear of a tourist site that owes its interest to a film but the Sky Bar at the top of the Lebua at the State Tower is said to have a fantastic view as well as featuring in the film Hangover 2. A wild tuk tuk ride gets us there in 10 minutes and the lift speeds us to the 64th floor. The Sky Bar technically is not featured in the Hangover but we pause for a cocktail and the amazing views and on the way out stop for a photo at the actual bar featured in the film (Scirroco).

    Then it's back to the Sheraton shuttle boat from Saphon Tacsin pier to dinner near the hotel
    Read more