Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    David and Duomo

    January 2, 2020 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Today we set out super early for the Accademia. Determined not to repeat the mistakes of the Sistine Chapel, we had tickets for 8:15 am and were at the meeting point 15 minutes ahead of schedule.

    It was fabulous - there were very few people at that time and we had prime position and plenty of time to gaze upon the man himself, David ! The block of marble used for David had been tried and rejected by a few different sculptors as too hard to work with before Michelangelo had a go. Incredible that something so beautiful was created. This time I was really struck by the determination, but trepidation in his eyes.

    We also spent some time with the Medici instruments and the rest of the gallery before joining the long line to go into the Cathedral. Unfortunately tickets to climb the Duomo were sold out for several days, so we had to content ourselves with the view from the inside. Which is beautiful enough !

    After that, it was farewell Florence and back on the train to Rome. I made the booking a little late to all sit together, so Ivy and I sat in one carriage, Russell at the back of the next, while Henry found himself in a foursome with some grandparents and their grandson. Happily, we all made it off at the right stop.
    Read more